Thursday 5 March 2009

End of term essay

It seemed a good idea to set an essay for my Bible college students. When I then realised I had to read and mark the 40,000 words handed in, I wasn't so sure...

It's quite humbling to read a whole essay that didn't refer in any significant way to a single concept you taught in class throughout the term. Hmmm! On the other hand, it's encouraging to read an essay where the student clearly has internalised the points you were trying to get across.

Being cross-cultural and with some of the students having limited English, some things don't come across quite right. Or at least, I'm really not sure what they mean. The most interesting section was where one student explains that it is not only the missionary's job to preach the good news to lost people, but also he must take action to "eradicate evildoers". Unfortunately he didn't explain what he had in mind...

No comments: