Friday 25 September 2009

Pilgrim talks with a child about the will of God

Child: Pilgrim, how can I know the will of God for me?

Pilgrim: To know the will of God, child, read the word of God.

Child: But Pilgrim, what about life's big issues? Who shall I marry, where shall I work?

Pilgrim: Did you hear me? Read the word of God, child!

Child: But the word of God does not tell me God's will for me.

Pilgrim: It does, and on every page. "For this is the will of God, even your sanctification". "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you".

Child: I know that, Pilgrim. But does not God have "one best life now" for me? How can I make sure I don't miss out?

Pilgrim: You know nothing yet as you ought to know it, child. God's "best life" is the life of his kingdom, not of the world, and so he tells you to seek it first. If you would be happy, you must be holy. If you are first holy, you will then understand all these other questions you ask.

Child: But I still have to know where to live and work?

Pilgrim: I already told you. You have to know how to live and work. When you know how and do his will, God will take care of the rest.

Child:
Does not the Holy Spirit lead us, then?

Pilgrim: Indeed he does, as I have told you. He leads us into holiness.

Child: And the will of God?

Pilgrim: Godliness.

Child: But what about the details of life? Will I not get into trouble if I miss God's best?

Pilgrim: You will get into trouble if you find God's best.

Child: What do you mean?

Pilgrim: What the word of God says. "We must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God", and "no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto" and "Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator."

Child: But does not God want good things for his children?

Pilgrim: He does, and that is why we suffer.

Child: How can suffering be good?

Pilgrim: Because suffering is the narrow road to glory, my child. "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ".

Child: But, Pilgrim, I think if we can find the way to know the will of God, we will never have cause to suffer.

Pilgrim: That is why you are still a child, child.

No comments: